Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Finding beauty in negative places

Barbed wire rips through hearts
ends held by devils
Mom!
Silence
A salty tear rips the sand apart
Non stop cries are the new music
Stop!
The earth tears open
Skies cover up with black blankets
The sun spits dust and disease
Help!

Contemplate for a few minutes about this poem that I wrote last year.
I challenge you to find beauty in it before you continue reading this post. This post will be about finding beauty in all, also the negative. In this post I will use war as an example, but beauty is also found in all else.
Now we continue.
A couple of months ago I went to the library to get myself some books about the ongoing war in the middle east. 2 books in particular caught my attention, but I can’t remember the names anymore sadly. One was about a famous Afghan poet who fought against the regime through his poems and the other book was written by a doctor in Iraq who witnessed the entire war on terror by America.
Both books really showed the true side of war, including all the despair, depression, hate and death.For me, there is a certain beauty to it. I’ve always been the kind of person that looks for beauty in everything. Especially the negative. I strongly believe that if you are able to find beauty not only in the positive, but also the negative, you’ll understand happiness.
But what is there so beautiful about war, you might think.
Well, war is not beautiful at all, but there are beautiful things in war.
When really bad things happen to us, like war for instance, we start to bond more with the people around us.
Our family and loved ones, our friends and neighbors, you name it.
When I read those books, I didn’t just see the bad things. What touched me most was how compassionate and full of love the people are. I saw unconditional love, people being there for each other no matter what. Even the love that I saw when people lost their loved ones. The intense love that they felt for that person.
A doctor from another country, coming to a war zone, risking his own life in order to help people he never met. Just out of pure love and wanting to help the people. Wanting to make their life’s a little better, without expecting anything in return.
Neighbors opening up their homes to people who just lost theirs in an overnight bombing. My home is your home.
Unconditional love.
Why can’t we be like this always? Why do we not appreciate and love each other as deeply at all times?
There is beauty in everything, because there is unconditional love. We need to stop putting conditions to love, because love doesn’t know any conditions. It is always there, in the good and the bad.
If only everyone could see this love, this unconditional love we have inside of us. If only we could see it in each other.
That’s the kind of beauty I see in all.
Love passionately, in good and bad times. Find beauty in all. Let unconditional love exist and watch the world change. Love is what’s inside all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment