Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Scotland, the land of Fearie

When you drive through Scotland you can’t help but wonder if fairies still exist.
The nature is so breathtaking, so wild and so beautiful, one will wonder if there are elves taking care of the land.
I’ve been in Scotland for 3 weeks now and the more I see of this country, the more I start to believe in elves, trolls, dwarfs, orcs and dragons.
Even the bad weather (I know, there’s no such things as bad weather, just bad clothing!) fits perfectly with the scenery and triggers the imagination even more.
The countless mountains, hills and lochs will give you the feeling like you entered the Lord of the Rings in real life. Be aware of falling in love with this country, because it is much likely to happen!

The Scottish Highlands

Where to start?! It’s just magical, serene, wild, untouched and uninhabited. Well not completely uninhabited ofcourse, but you won’t find big cities. The only city in the Highlands is Inverness I believe, please correct me if I’m wrong. But you will get plenty of lovely small villages every now and again along the road. Big highways are virtually non existent, instead you will find cute small roads winding their way up mountains. A lot of these road are single track roads, but since there’s hardly any traffic, you won’t have any trouble. Be prepared to stop every other mile to park the car and take pictures, because the scenery will blow you away!
I think it’s time now to make you guys jealous with some pictures before moving on to the Isle of Skye.
DSC_1050
DSC_1074
DSC_1084

Isle of Skye

Jealous much? Good. You will be even more jealous. Moving on to Isle of Skye!
Words won’t be able to do any justice to how beautiful this part of Scotland is. So rural, so wild, so AAHHHH!!! I fell in love straight away.
I’ve only seen a small part of Skye, but my gosh it’s so beautiful, I think I said it at least 500 times in 10 minutes time while driving my car around.
My mouth kept dropping to the floor and the car almost got overheaded from the constant stopping and starting. (Kidding ofcourse, before they put me on the blacklist at the car rental business I got the car from.)
Our first real stop (not counting the 400 times before) were the Fearie pools. Usually I hate doing touristy stuff, but I just needed to see the Fearie Pools! And I am so happy I did! There was no sign of life when we arrived and after a short 20 minute hike (which is an absolute torture in a landscape with views like that ofcourse (sarcasm in case you didn’t notice)), we arrived at the first pool. And it is just like the picture you can find on google. Yes, also the color of the water. And yes, after seeing this I believe in fairies. Again, words can’t do it justice.. The rest of the pools were just as good if not better and I was so glad I went to the pools. Again, love at first sight.
After the Fearie Pools we decided to turn off the navigation system in the car and just take random left and right turns and just see where we ended up. And ofcourse we ended up in amazing places, what else? The first road turned out to be a dead end, but it took us to a very beautiful beach with perfect turquoise water. The ocean around Skye has a true turquoise color and it’s absolutely beautiful.
The second road brought us to another dead end and there we decided to go for a walk and we ended up on another amazing beach with huge cliffs and waterfalls while the sun was starting to set on the horizon. Then it was time for the 4 hour journey back home.
Time for some more jealous making pictures!
DSC_1095
DSC_1150
DSC_1183
DSC_1189
DSC_1198

Now go to bed and get rid of your green color. Sleep tight folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment