Tuesday, February 23, 2016

How to: start traveling!

A lot of people ask me where I learned to grow such huge balls to just step out of everyday life and start living the life I want to live, a life on the road.
Well first of all you don’t need huge balls, but you do need a lot of courage. If you have an adventurous and curious mindset, you will most likely also have enough courage to turn your life around. But how do you do it?
It’s really easy as it all starts with a dream and a thought. A dream of buying a van and roadtrip the country, a dream of buying a boat and sail every ocean on this planet or simply go around the world with nothing but a backpack and your thumb. It doesn’t matter. Everyone has their own dream and all of those dreams can come true once you set your mind to it.
In this article I wil explain to you how I did it and what my experiences are. Keep in mind that I’m a solo traveler with no kids, so I can’t speak for people who want to start traveling but have kids.
Anyway, here we go!
It all started with a dream. A dream to work and travel in Australia. Years and years passed without making my dream come true. The reason was fear. Fear for the unknown. What will happen if I give up everything in Holland and want to come back but won’t have anything to come back to? How will I manage financially? What if it turns out to be a total disaster?
Those are normal fears and nothing to be ashamed of, but don’t let your fears overrule the urge of going. Fear can easily take over your mind and make you want to settle back into the chair and never leave your bubble of everyday life. What helped me a lot was thinking about all the good things that would come my way, the lovely people, nature, adverture and much more. If you view this in a positive manner, the more excited you will become and all your fears will be pushed back to a dark corner of your mind where they will barely be noticed.
For a first time, I don’t think it’s possible to be 100% confident of leaving everything behind. But I can tell you one thing, it is absolutely worth it. 100%.
So I decided to change my dream into reality and I was ready to take the next step; quit my job, cancel my rent and apply for the visa.
It is wise to apply for a visa first, because if you quit everything and you won’t be granted a visa… well we all know the answer to that.
We got the visa! Time to prepare!
I always start by booking my ticket first, this way I know how much time I have left. Check your passport before booking the ticket, if it expires soon, it’s better to get a new passport before booking.
Check if you need any vaccins for the country you’re going to, make an English resume, some copies of your diplomas if you want to do specific work etc.
Google is great for searching country related articles so you know what to bring and not to bring.
Try not to prepare and plan too much, it will never go exactly as planned. Trust me.
Also don’t forget to check the rules in your own country about going abroad longterm. In Holland for instance you have to resign citizenship when you’re leaving for over 8 months. Also check all the insurances you have, some might not continue when you go abroad for a long time.
Make sure you save up some money too so that you’re able to survive for a while without a job.
Anyway, the first step is always the hardest. Once you’ve made the first step, things will be easier. It’s always a plunge into the deep, but you will learn to build your wings along the way. My tip for you, don’t have any expectations and just go with whatever comes at you. That’s really all you can do.
I hope this article was of any help and I hope you enjoy your travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment