Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Hiking in Lac du Salagou and Pic Saint Loup

As most of you probably already read on facebook, I had some problems with logging in on my website the past 2 months and therefor I wasn’t able to write any posts.
After lots of emails between my webhost and me, I found out myself that the forum was to blame. Now that I deleted it, I could log in again.
So it’s time for a new update! A lot has been happening in the past weeks. My initial plan was to go to the Canary Islands, I had my ticket and everything, but I missed the flight. How ironic that was, I even slept on Barcelona airport to make sure I wouldn’t miss it, but still I overslept and missed the damn flight.
Luckily I had an awesome host in Barcelona who picked me up again at the trainstation and two days after I was back in Montpellier again.
But as the travelbug wasn’t planning on leaving, I decided it was time to explore the area around Montpellier. There are some amazing natural sites around Montpellier and I will tell you about two of them in this post.

Pic Saint Loup

Do you like hiking, climbing and beautiful views? At just 30 minutes by car from Montpellier you can do just that. Pic Saint Loup has historical sites, mountains to climb and absolutely amazing views! The highest point is 658 meters which is not very high compared to other mountains in France, but the hike up is beautiful.
On top you will find a small former church building and amazing views over the valley below. I believe you can also do some rockclimbing on one side of the mountain, which is a big cliff. In the same area as Pic Saint Loup you have another smaller mountain with a beautiful ruin of a castle on top, called Chateau de Montferrand.
But what better way of explaining than by showing pictures?
So here we go:
Pic Saint Loup
Ruin Pic Saint Loup
DSC_0778
DSC_0774
Make sure this is on your list when you’re in southern France!

Lac du Salagou

This is another beautiful area on approximately 50 minute drive by car from Montpellier. It’s a beautiful lake surrounded by mountains. In summer time this place can be a bit crowded with tourists, but when you’re there off season, you’ll have the place basically to yourself. This place is perfect for long hikes.
Typical for this area is the red soil, I really had the feeling I was back in Australia. If you’re going for a hike here, I hope you don’t mind your shoes will get a little red.
And ofcourse, pictures speak louder than words written!
DSC_0832
DSC_0837
DSC_0843
DSC_0848
DSC_0850

Click on the pictures to see the bigger and complete version.
My plans for now? I fly to Scotland the 9th of February to work for a while with horses in the beautiful Scottish Highlands. For me as a photographer this is like heaven, so be prepared to get spammed with photo blogposts!
Enjoy your weekend and see you guys soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment