Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Isla Mujeres, hitchhikers paradise.

I’m currently exploring the beautiful island Isla Mujeres, just 15 minutes by ferry from Cancun.
Ofcourse I can’t explore a country or island without trying to hitchhike as well. Even though a lot of people warned me for hitchhiking in Mexico, I believe the area I am in now, is as safe as any other place I hitchhiked in. Especially Isla Mujeres, it’s a very touristy and safe place.
Although the taxi is really cheap on this island, I still prefer to hitchhike, because you meet amazing people and you get to see a lot of places.
Since the island is really small, you don’t really have to worry about getting lost and in case you really can’t find a ride anymore, you can just walk or take a taxi.
It turns out that Isla Mujeres is a true hitchhiking paradise and the first car will stop for you straight away. I haven’t had any cars passing me by without picking me up. One even asked if I needed a ride before I even put my tumb out.

Hitchhiking a golf cart

There are a lot of golf carts on Isla Mujeres and with that I mean A LOT!! You will most likely be picked up by tourists in golf carts and it’s a great way of getting around the area. Before I started hitchhiking I was walking along the coast of the non touristy side of Isla Mujeres and got into a conversation with a guy from Venezuela, Alfredo I believe his name was. We got along pretty well and decided to explore the island together. I asked him if he was up for hitchhiking and he was even though he never tried it before. We started walking to the road and saw a golf cart coming, so I put my thumb out and they stopped immidiately. They were a couple from California, checking the island out for a day. They didn’t have to go very far, so a couple of hundred meters later they were already at their destination. From there we stuck our thumb out again and a guy with a pick up truck picked us up. For me it was the first time hitchhiking in the back of a pick up truck. In the picture my newly made friend!
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Not long after we got picked up by another couple from San Diego and they drove us a bit around the other side of the island.
At some point we saw a beautiful coastline, so we told the couple they could drop us off there and they did.
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

After taking a lot of pictures here we decided to hitchhike further and another lovely couple from America picked us up. We ended up riding along for quite a while with them and we had tons and tons of fun. They were really funny people and this ride was definately the best we could have had. We took different turns to see where we would end up and  a lot of times it turned out to be a dead end, but who cares when you’re having a blast? The funniest moment was when we had to go over one of the many speed bumps and we did it a bit too slowly. It was a nasty one and we got stuck. The front wheels were on one side and the rear wheels on the other and the motor from the golf cart didn’t have enough power to get the rear ones over the bump as well. In the end we managed to do it by trying it in reverse and then floor the gas panel.
I almost had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard, it was definately hilarious. Unfortunately as we all know, good things must come to an end and so did this ride.
We said our goodbyes and I asked if I could take a picture.
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

So as you can see, Isla Mujeres is a hitchhikers paradise, so if you plan to go here, think about hitching a golf cart!

No comments:

Post a Comment