Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Palenque and the Maya ruins

Hola mi amigos!
It’s time for another weekly update, because I haven’t been sitting still.
In my former blogpost you could read about the Yucatan area, so I’m not going into that again in this post.
The past week was one of amazement again, beautiful places and great people, I thought it was impossible to love Mexico even more, but every single time I fall in love over and over again.

Palenque

After being in Merida for 4 days, I decided it was time to go to Palenque. I found a workaway host in the jungle there and it was time to check it out. I took the ADO bus from Merida to Palenque and after 9 hours I arrived in this very small town in the middle of the jungle. My first impression of Palenque was that it’s not the most beautiful town in Mexico, but because of it’s location I loved it straight away.
As in every city or town in Mexico, taxi drivers are lined up outside the bus station, yelling and screaming to give you a ride (or basically just to rip you off).
But because the hotel I was going to work for was a little hard to find, I decided to take a taxi after all to avoid getting lost in a 40 degrees celcius temperature.
When I arrived, it seriously looked like paradise. Small huts in the middle of the jungle, a beautiful pool, a beautiful view of the mountains and wildlife all around you. And one other good thing, that was actually the reason I wanted to volunteer here, is because the old Maya city is next to it.
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
My workaway hosts Karen and Oscar are two amazing human beings and I really enjoy my stay here. They don’t really want me to work, just chat a little bit with the costumers, make them feel at home. I’m trying to find some other ways in which I can help them, because I feel bad for not doing anything while they let me stay here for free. They even let me use the motorbike to get around here.

Maya archeological site of Palenque

On my second day here I took the motorbike to the maya ruins next door. It was just a 10 minute ride through lush jungle and up the mountain.
As soon as you arrive, a lot of locals walk up to you, trying to sell you their goods and it can be a bit tricky to free yourself of it. My voice almost went sore from all the “no gracias” I’ve been saying while trying to get to the ticket office. I finally made my way there, bought the ticket and had to fight my way through locals again to get to the entrance.
The archeological site itself is absolutely stunning. So many ruins and temples, it’s amazing! I really like it much better than Chichen Itza. The city is a lot bigger and the view is amazing because it’s on the mountain. Most of the city is in an open space, but you can walk inside the jungle and see more ruins hidden between the trees, it’s really magical. I’m still amazed to this day how they were able to build all these temples back in the days.
If you plan on visiting Chiapas in Mexico, make sure to come to Palenque and visit the maya ruins. It will cost you 30 pesos to get into the national park and an additional 64 pesos for the archeological site. There are colectivo’s going from downtown Palenque to the Maya ruins, just hop onto the bus that says ruinas and enjoy the ride!
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Right now I’m mostly at the hotel, but I plan on visiting some other beautiful areas around Palenque. I will try to keep you guys updated, the only problem in the internet. The internet is really bad here, so I’m not always able to update you guys frequently. That’s part of living in the middle of the jungle!
See you guys next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment