Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Quintana Roo and Yucatan!

I have to apologize yet again for not updating a lot lately. I’ve been sick for a very long time and it ended up in the hospital with a lung infection. The good new is that the medication did a good job and I’m up and running again so it’s time to let you all know what happened the past weeks.
This blogpost will be about week 3 until week 9. I can’t believe how fast time goes, I’m already in Mexico for 2 months now and still loving every minute of it.
I’ve met so many amazing people in the past weeks and made so many new friends. A lot of great people here helped me when I was sick, complete strangers helped me out and brought me food to help me get better. I still can’t believe how amazing the people are here.
I also finished the Padi Open Water dive course on Isla Mujeres yesterday, so I’m really happy. Chichen Itza was also on the list of places to visit, so let’s start!

Chichen Itza

As a lot of you know, I’m a massive fan of ancient civilazations, so it was great when my friend offered me to go to Chichen Itza with me. Even though it’s a very touristy place, I’m glad I went there. It’s absolutely great to see all those Mayan ruins and it’s unbelievable that people lived there back in the days.
I remember that I saw a documentary about Chichen Itza a couple of years ago and it was unreal walking there myself now. Seeing the temples, the observatory and the play field. It’s amazing how they were able to build all that in the past, it’s absolutely incredible!
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

The big temple is great when it’s summer solstice, the sun will project a shadow so that you will see a snake on the temple. Unfortunately it was not summer solstice, so we were not able to see the shadow, but it was great non the less.

Padi Open Water dive course

As I wrote in another blogpost a while ago, I started with the padi on Isla Mujeres. I started with the 2 confined space dives 4 weeks ago and the first 2 open water dives as well. Unfortunately I started to get sick the day after, so I was unable to finish the padi until yesterday. We started with the last 2 open water dives for the final skills to perform. We dived in musa again (the underwater museum) and the second dive was in the reef Atlantis again. The last dive was just a fun dive.
After the open water dives we went back to the dive center because I still had to finish the last 7 questions of the final exam. I was a bit nervous because I thought I made too many mistakes, but in the end it turned out I only made 1 mistake with the exam. So I finally have my certificate now and I’m really happy with it! I can’t wait to start diving in other places.
Diving really is a great experience and a new world opens for you, even more to explore while there is already so much to explore on earth.
I hope to add pictures to this section soon, I’m still waiting for the pictures to arrive. I just hope they will send it to me, because it’s great to have some pictures of myself diving.
Unfortunately I didn’t do much more these past weeks as I was sick most of the time. I really hope the next weekly diaries will have more to tell you guys, but I think it will.
I’m leaving to Merida on sunday to stay there for a week. After Merida I will travel to Palenque in Chiapas to do some volunteer work and to visit the old Maya city as well.
I look forward to it and I will keep you guys updated!
Much love and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment