Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Moreton Island, where magic really exists

A clear blue ocean, soft white sand, dolphins showing off in the distance and a couple of giant seaturtles preparing to lay eggs.
No it is not a fairy tale, it’s a place that really exists and where oxygen is replaced by magic.
Image waking up on an island on the east coast of Australia, close to the Brisbane shore. An island to escape from all the hustle and bustle from the city. Or to escape from any place other place on earth. A place where roads don’t exist, kilometers of white beaches, lots of ocean life like dolphins, (humpback)whales, giant seaturtles (and with that I mean really giant!!), amazingly beautiful starfish and lots more! Does that sound like the paradise you’ve always dreamed of going? Then Moreton Island is the place for you to go. It is the place that I was lucky to live on for a short while when I was hired as an au pair for one of the families living there. It still is the most amazing place I have ever been in my entire life and I definately left a big part of myself behind when I left.
The island is relatively small and can be reached by 2 types of ferries who depart from a terminal in one of the suburbs in Brisbane.
There are only 2 families truly living on the island, both of them ranger who look after the island. So the island is practically uninhabited. It does have one resort though, so if you need some luxury and a proper bed to sleep in, you will be able to. For those that do not care about luxury nor a proper bed, there are a couple of campsites across the island. Everything can be reached by 4 wheel drive (make sure you rent one on the main land, because they don’t have car rentals on the island). Even though they don’t have roads, they do have some sandpaths from one end of the island to the other.
Make sure you visit the lovely lighthouse in Cape Moreton, I believe the oldest lighthouse still operating in Australia. The view from there is amazing and if you visit the island in the right season (migrating season) you will see the humpback whales migrating. I was there in june/july and got to see a lot of humpback whales and dolphins, even as the giant seaturtles. So I can honestly say that’s a good period to go!
Besides the lovely lighthouse, Cape Moreton has a few lovely beaches that are covered from the public eye and therefore unknown to the crowd. I accidentally stumbled across one of these beaches when I was exploring the island. It’s near Cape Moreton and there aren’t really any paths going there. You have to get off the tracks and make your way down on one of the huge sand hills on the other side of the lighthouse.
This picture I shot is the opening you will see when you made your way down and turn to your left. It opens up in a paradise not yet discovered by many tourists.
Moreton Island secret beach

Ofcourse there are many beaches on Moreton Island, but this still is my favourite one, also because it is such an unknown little piece of paradise. I spent hours and hours there by myself, not encountering a single human being.
Another must do is snorkling on the main beach (where the ferries arrive), there are a few shipwrecks that scream to be explored. Lots of ocean life made it their home, so you will see some amazing fish and other ocean life.
I can continue writing on and on about this island, but I have only one advice: go see it! To make you even more excited, here are some more pictures that I took so that you can’t ignore anymore! Click the images if you want to see them bigger. Oh and btw, the nightsky on Moreton Island is breathtaking! Since there is no lightpolution whatsoever, you can see everything! I watched the sky every night for at least 2 hours, the Universe is awesome!
Moreton Island

Moreton Island

Moreton Island

Moreton Island

No comments:

Post a Comment